Four kids in car during police chase

POLICE have arrested two men after separate pursuits at Port Stephens and on the mid-north coast over the weekend, including one in which the driver was allegedly drunk and led police on a chase for more than 28 kilometreswith four kids in the car.

Highway patrol police say they detected a Holden Commodore traveling at 119km/h on the Pacific Highway at Coopernook about 2.20pm on Saturday.

They gave chase, following the man for more than 28 kilometres before police made the decision to terminate the pursuit at Harrington due to concerns about the Commodore’s dangerous driving.Police kept searching for the driverand, after further inquiries, stopped a man, 40, who was riding a bicycle on Crowdy Bay Road at Crowdy Bay about 3.15pm on Saturday.Police say the man admitted to driving the Commodore earlier that day.

He was breath-tested and returned a positive reading, police say.The man was taken to Taree police station where he was charged with police pursuit, speeding and mid-range drink driving.

The man was granted conditional bail to appear in Taree Local Court on May 31.

Police claimthere were four children –aged between two and eight – in the carat the time of the pursuit as well as the man’s wife.

A few hours later, police were patrolling on Nelson Bay Road at Williamtown when they spotted a man,wanted on arrest warrants, in a Ford Falcon.

After losing sight of the vehicle, police saw it again on Cabbage Tree Road, Tomago, and launched apursuit.

The chase sped along the Pacific Highway and New England Highway, before police terminated the pursuit on John Renshaw Drive atBeresfield.

The car was later found abandoned on Queens Wharf Road at Morpeth.

The NSW Police Dog Unit was called in to help search the area and a man, 27, was later found in a nearby farm shed.He was taken to Raymond Terrace police station and then to John Hunter Hospital to be treated for a cut to his arm.

The man remains under police guard at hospital. Police say charges are expected to be laid.Meanwhile, a man, 46, was arrested in Nelson Bay on Saturday night after police allegedly found a large plastic resealable bag of ice.

The manwas taken to Raymond Terrace police station where he was charged with supplying a prohibited drug and breaching his bail.

The man appeared in Newcastle Bail Court on Sunday and was refused bail.

Comments are closed.